The State of Illinois and the North Chicago Community Unit School District 187’s Board of Education requires all students to be in compliance with the following:
- ALL students entering school for the first time (Kindergarten or 1st grade), and ALL students entering 6th, and 9th grades are required to have a physical before they can enter school. This physical must include Lead Screening (Kindergarten and first grade only), Diabetic screening and a documented Body Mass Index (BMI).
- The physical must be provided by a licensed health care provider (i.e. medical doctor, nurse practitioner, or a physician’s assistance under the guidance of a licensed medical doctor.
The following are the required immunizations:
- Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus (DPT)
- Tetanus Booster at least every ten (10) years
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Hepatitis B
- Varicella (Chicken Pox), or documentation by health care provider that gives date of disease
- Haemophilus Influenzae Type B (Hib)-Mandatory for Pre-School
- Recommended for female students entering 6th grade; Human Pailomavirus (HPV)
These requirements must be documented on the State of Illinois Form, “Certificate of Child Heath Examination Form”, provided by the District. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS WILL RESULT IN THE CHILD NOT BEING ALLOWED TO ATTEND SCHOOL UNTIL ALL HEALTH REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED AS STATED BY ILLINOIS LAW AND THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION.
All students entering Kindergarten, 2nd and 6th grade are required to have dental exam by a licensed dentist prior to May 15th. All students entering Kindergarten, or for those whose first school experience is 1st grade, must have an eye exam by a licensed eye doctor or Optometrist no later than October 15th. Both exams must be on the forms provided by the district.